Wednesday, June 1, 2011

These Times They Are A-Changin'

Last weekend one of my best friends, Megan, married one of Eddie’s best friends, Alex.  Funny enough, Alex and Megan met about  three months after Eddie and I began dating ---then married each other about 3 years after Eddie and I were married.  They had the most beautiful wedding in a little town along the Outerbanks of NC called Duck.  Eddie found a house about a block from the beach, which we shared with 6 other couples…baby-less couples.  Needless to say, we left James in Smithfield to fend for himself among the swarm of grandparents and great-grandparents.   Over the course of the weekend I came to the harsh realization that times have changed…
Long gone are the days of staying out past midnight and sleeping until 11 the next morning.  I found myself fading around 10 and up by 7.


 
On the beach, instead of talking about boys, dating, or gossiping about who knows what, we talked about Elie’s new job, husbands that don’t pick up their dirty clothes, and HOA fees.

We lathered on SPF 30 or higher and wore hats on the beach.  A vast change for the days of bronzing oil and tanning beds.


I absolutely adore my friends and while this post may have just portrayed them as a bunch of old “fuddy duddys”  I assure you we are far from it!  Yes---there could be a hint of growing up seen in all of us over the weekend but by the time we rolled out of Nags Head on Sunday morning I was well aware of the things that hadn’t changed.  Megan was still serenaded by a chorus of guys singing “You’ve Lost that Loving Feeling”, Andy still got a running start before perfectly executing  “the worm”, the groomsmen still needed an “adult” to keep them quiet before walking into the church, and a great group of friends shared the weekend laughing and cutting up with each other.  These are the things I often take for granted and assume will always be a constant in my life---even Andy doing “the worm” when we’re 80 years old.  
Congratulations Megan and Alex!!

No comments:

Post a Comment